Google Adsense

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Storytime Sunday: Dr. Seuss's ABC

Today's book is one of my favorites, Dr. Seuss's ABC. There are so many activities you can do with this book. One of my favorite things about Dr. Seuss other than the rhyming of course, is his made-up characters. The kids really get a kick out of these creatures and the silly things they do! 

So, we decided to do a writing activity with this book. We used this as our sample. The kids were to write as much of this as they can (choosing their own letter) and then draw a picture of something that begins with that letter.

Here is one of the children's work:


And here is another. She didn't get around to drawing a picture, but she wrote more of the text.

We made letters with gear blocks as you can see here. We also have the Dr. Seuss's ABC computer game on our computer, so it was a great extension of the book about which we had read and written.






Shibley Smiles





3 comments:

  1. Wow, fabulous ideas! I was wondering about the Dr. Seuss computer game you mentioned. Did you purchase it, or did your school? Or is it free? Can you tell me the exact name of it? I'd love to get it for my kids.

    Sharon
    http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful writing! I love your idea!

    Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete